Wednesday, November 18, 2009  10:16 AM

A tale of two red soles

Exactly one week ago, Denise and I spent a good two hours or so chatting in the Christian Louboutin storeroom as I accompanied her during her press walk-throughs. My first impression was that it looked more like a post office's storage room; the place was exploding with recyclable-brown boxes and similar paper bags. Not one comfort chair was in sight. We spent the day trying out lonely red soles waiting to be worn on the cement floor, and looking up in fascination when the sales assistant rushed in swiping platinum credit cards and chalking up receipts of $3000 at one go.

The experience was nothing like what I expected. I used to walk into Louboutin with fear that someone was going to judge me for what I was wearing, or if I didn't look rich enough. These days, I walk in not caring without what anyone thinks, and I'm done with the mindset that I need to look the part when I window-shop at branded stores. At Louboutin that day, it was nothing special - nothing fluttered in my heart nor a sense of pride that we had a part to play in the prestigious family. The people working at the store were really fun and down-to-earth, and behind all that glamour of advertising and labels, it really is just a shoe store.

--

The thing about me is that I've never been one that follows typical fashion trends. I don't really know what next season's big trend is, nor do I read fashion nation or style.com daily to keep myself updated with fashion news. I do know more than the average person perhaps, because I have stacks of magazines piled up waiting me to thumb through in the office, and I like walking into shops to simply observe - but I'm definitely not in the know like some fashionistas are. When it comes to dress sense, I wear what I like and I love rummaging through my wardrobe digging up things from years ago and treating them like brand-new items waiting to be worn. At last month's Topshop fashion party, everyone looked like carbon copies of each other in high-waisted shorts, harem pants, bandage heels or gladiator sandals. I felt like I just walked into a crowd of Topshop minions, and felt slightly out of place. I don't own harem pants or a boyfriend blazer. So what does that really mean? I wonder if I'm dated sometimes; but then again, who sets the standards for these things?

That worries me sometimes, if I want to eventually venture into fashion writing or anything along those lines. Should I be more concerned about the demise of super shoulders and the advent of studs in the months to come?

I still believe a whole lot in personal style though. I admire a person most when she or he defines the things they wear, and not the other way around. It's fun to see someone in something, know that you would probably never wear it but still love what the person is wearing. When the GGs are together, I see four other individual styles - classic, funky, eclectic and sophisticated. It makes very good photos.

In the meantime, two of my favourites from Christian Louboutin's SS10 collection! -

 

0 comment(s). Your thoughts?


 
   
 
 



TheGlamGirls
Angela
April
Atikk
Bella
Cand

Cheryl

Claire

Janissa

Jingli

Joan

Kerjin
Lee

Marcus

Matt

Michelle

Myca

Nick

Pau

Peishan

Peiqi

Sarah

Ser

Shanny

Sharlene

Sharon

Siew

Victoria

Wendy